Is it time to freshen up your walls with the help of our residential painters in North Shore or are you going to tackle the preparation work yourself?
Have you previously had wallpaper on your walls, either all of them or as a feature?
If it’s time for a change and you want to freshen up your home and walls with a new look and new wallpaper then our residential painters in North Shore can help.
With wallpaper, it all comes down to good removal techniques and surface preparation.
Having the surface perfect or as near perfect as you can is of the utmost importance.
If you don’t get the surface right then you won’t have clean, smooth walls at the end of the job.
Depending on the angle you are, when the light hits your new wallpaper you may be able to see the little bumps and lumps to annoy you forever (or until the next time you update your walls at least).
Source: Ann Jackson Art
Wallpaper removal: DIY or obtain the services of local residential painters, North Shore
Not sure if you want to tackle the task of removing your wallpaper yourself?
It can be a big task, especially if it’s a whole room or house that’s been wallpapered.
If you’ve only used wallpaper on feature walls then it’s not quite as daunting a job, but still, the removal and wall preparation is just as important as the actual wallpaper application.
Pros to DIY wallpaper removal:
- Can be more economical if all goes to plan, but like all DIY when does it ever go to plan? So, in the long run, it may end up costing you. But obviously, this will depend on your level of experience and expertise too.
Cons to DIY wallpaper removal:
- Will take you longer than the professional residential painters if you aren’t proficient or haven’t done this before.
- If you damage the wall surface/plasterboard then it will need to be repaired before new wallpaper can be hung or the walls painted. This may be outside your skillset and you may need to pay someone to repair the walls as a result.
- You may need to hire equipment to get the job done – a steam stripper for example.
- If the wallpaper has been on the walls for some time or, heaven forbid, painted over then it will be harder to remove and we would definitely recommend getting the expert residential painters in if this was the case.
Now reading back on our pros and cons list… cons have definitely won out.
What do you think? Would you attempt to remove wallpaper yourself?
Wallpaper removal tips and tools needed
Check out our previous blog post “Tips to Remove Wallpaper” which details some tips and tricks as well as the removal options.
Depending on how long your wallpaper has been on may depend on what method you use.
Surface preparation by our residential painters in North Shore
So, if you do decide to be brave and tackle the job of removing your wallpaper yourself then it’s all about surface preparation when it comes to rehanging new wallpaper or applying paint to your walls.
Now if any damage has been done during the removal process it needs to be fixed.
Wallpaper can be slightly forgiving to imperfections but there would be nothing worse than sitting back enjoying your new room and with the angle, you are sitting you can see a lump or bump.
Once you’ve seen that dreaded lump or bump once your eye will forever be drawn to that spot and it will haunt you until you redecorate again.
These are the main points that you need to consider after your wallpaper has been removed:
1. Remove all traces of dust and dirt and double check there is no remanence of wallpaper still left
2. Any bumps, cracks, or anything that is not smooth needs to be filled and repaired with a suitable plaster or crack filler. If you’re not sure what you are doing then touch base with us and we can handle this aspect for you.
3. Make sure walls are clean and dry and aren’t left wet if you have used a steam stripper.
DIY wallpaper removal isn’t your thing
That’s ok, as Summit Coatings can handle all aspects for you.
From removing and preparing your walls for you through to hanging new wallpaper or repainting your walls.
If you have had a go at it yourself and you have come to realise it’s beyond your skillset then contact us.
Don’t be embarrassed – we’ve really seen it all over the years.
We have over 30 years’ experience and are also members of the Master Painters Association, so you can rest assured you will get a quality service on all levels.
We can also help you with your wallpaper or paint choices too with our colour consultancy service.
So, get in touch with us for your next home renovation and our residential painters in North Shore and Northern Beaches will be only too happy to help you.
SEE THE DIFFERENCE WITH SUMMIT
Call us today 02 9973 3131